Potala Palace is being syndicated by John Freeman and stands at Highlands Stud Farm for his freshman season in 2014.
Potala Palace’s sire Singspiel died in his prime. Nonetheless he made a serious impact on the global stud book and is known locally through the exploits of his son Lateral who is current champion Freshman sire in SA with 6 juvenile winners this season to 7th July including Bilateral who won the Grade 1 Golden Slipper on July day.
YouTube link of the Tellytrack Breeding to Win show: http://youtu.be/Ey1kLhUIFK8
- Gr1 winning son of multiple Gr1 winning Champion Turf Horse, Singspiel who clearly works as a sire in SA: Lateral!!
- dam was trained by Sir Michael Stoute and placed in Group races at 2 and 3
- This is the Simon’s Shoes – Goody Two Shoes damline that traces through the blue hen Dalmary to Sadler’s Wells etc
- Potala Palace is linebred top and bottom to Dalmary (via his great grandsire Sadlers Wells) and her sister Carpet Slipper on the bottom (via Potala Palace’s dam). He has a truly super English pedigree and apart from this valuable linebreeding he represents the Sadlers Wells x Shirley Heights cross that produced most of Sadler’s Wells best winners.
As part of his hattrick of wins at 2 years he won the Gr1 Premier’s Champion Stakes by a length, beating 8 Gr1 horses including subsequent Gr1 winners Gimmethegreenlight, Fighting Warrior and Master Plan. The collateral form of that Gr1 win is excellent.
As an older horse, he raced almost exclusively in Gr1 and Gr2 races until an injury side-lined him for 9 months – he returned to the track in July last year in the Gr1 Champions Cup and subsequently won the Gr3 Spring Challenge beating Gr1 winner Link Man.
His 2014 Sires Handbook page is below.
- won the Gr1 Premier’s Champion Stakes by a length beating 4 horses that became Gr1 winners and 4 that became Gr1 placed and won Graded races
- Son of Singspiel: “a world leading sire” (www.stallionguide.com), “outstandingly tough racehorse known the world over for producing racehorses of the highest caliber”
His sire Singspeil:
- Champion Turf Horse 1996 & Champion Older Male 1997
- Won $6m
- Timeform Rated 133
- 8 of his 9 wins were in Group Races
- Won 5 Gr1 races on 4 continents incl. Dubai World Cup, Japan Cup, Canadian International, Coronation Cup and Juddmonte International Stakes.
- Despite fertility problems and a premature death he was the sire of 13 Gr1 winners and 6 champions including Horse of the Year Moon Ballad who also won the Dubai World Cup.
- Sired the winners of over US$61m
- A leading sire of sires including promising South African freshman sire Lateral – a champion racehorse in Germany and Italy – as well as Moon Ballad, Eastern Anthem, etc
- His dam Glorious Song was Canadian Horse of the Year & North American Champion and she produced Jet Master’s sire Rakeen, leading sire Rahy and of course the great Singspiel.
His dam alignment:
- TFR 98 at 2 years in 3 starts
- Trained by Sir Michael Stoute.
- Described by Timeform 1997 as a “fluent mover, caught final stride in Gr3 Prestige Stakes”
- Half sister to the dam of Gr1 2000 Guineas winner Golan.
- This is the Simon’s Shoes family of the blue hen Dalmary – the tail female line of: Apalachee, Archipenko, Bandini, Golden Thatch, Jade Robbery, Moccassin, Numerous, Nureyev, Sadler’s Wells, Stormy Atlantic, Thatch, Thatching etc.
C: +27 (0)82 777 8117+27 (0)82 777 8117
T: +27 (0)21 418 0566+27 (0)21 418 0566
F: +27 (0)21 418 0254
A: P O Box 26, Sea Point, South Africa 8060